GOOD TO KNOW
- Uniforms. Please see below for details.
- Tops: Black, white, navy, light blue, orange or red. Shirts must have a collar. No hoodies.
- Pants, shorts, skirts, dresses: Navy, black, khaki/tan. No denim, regardless of color.
- One Friday per month will be designated as Frostwear Friday. Students will be allowed to wear Frost shirts with uniform bottoms. The date will be posted in advance.
- Skirts/shorts must be longer than fingertips when arm is hung straight down with fingers fully extended.
- Pants must be worn at the waist.
- All children are required to have appropriate shoes (no heels, wedges) for physical education (gym) class. As we are an outdoor school, close-toed shoes are recommended.
- Children should be appropriately equipped each day to be outside, as our children are outside every day (barring severe weather). This means they need boots, umbrellas or rain gear, hats/mittens/scarves, and/or coats, depending on the season and weather.
- NO Heelies.
- Hats, bandanas, and stocking caps must not be worn in the building.
- All clothing or accessories that promote or suggest drugs, alcohol, tobacco, gangs, sexual innuendo or vulgar language will not be allowed.
- Pants, Dresses, Skirts: Navy, Khaki or Black
- NO DENIM, even if it's the correct color
- Cargo-style pants accepted
- Leggings/stretch pants are permissible ONLY under a skirt, dress or jumper
- Tops: Navy, Light Blue, Red, Orange, White or Black
- NO DENIM
- Shirts must have collars and sleeves (e.g., dress/button-down/oxford shirts, polo shirts)
- Solid colors; no patterns (e.g., polka dots) or graphics
- No hoods
- Turtlenecks, if worn, must be under a collared shirt meeting uniform requirements
- No sweatshirts. Fleece jackets, track jackets, blazers and sweaters are acceptable
- No uniform requirements for outerwear; any jacket, sweatshirt, hoodie is acceptable ONLY for outdoors.
- Tights, leggings (under dress or skirt), socks may be any color/pattern
- Any shoes are fine as long as they meet overall district guidelines (e.g., no wheeled shoes). As we are an outdoor school, close-toed shoes are recommended.
- Ties, jewelry, fashion scarves accepted
GOOD TO KNOW
- You are not required to use a "preferred vendor" or particular store. Any item that meets the requirements is acceptable, regardless of where it was purchased or acquired. Garage sale, mall, online vendor, area retailer, thrift store - they are ALL valid options to help you find what you need within budget.
- The district's webpage about the uniform requirement and recommended vendors: http://www.grps.org/uniforms.
- We will notify you if your child has a field day or activity that will be particularly hard on clothes, with an option to wear something else that day. UNLESS YOU ARE INFORMED THAT THE UNIFORM CODE IS WAIVED FOR ANY DAY OR ACTIVITY, your child WILL BE expected to be in uniform.
- Non-uniform days must still adhere to general district policies: shorts/skirts must be no shorter than finger-tip length, tank/dress straps must be at least 1" wide, pants worn at hip or waist, no offensive graphics/text, etc.
- When in doubt, check it out! If you aren't sure something is acceptable, call us in the office - 616-819-2550.
- There is help! Read "Uniform Assistance," below.
- Meijer stores - available year round at 28th/Kalamazoo and Alpine locations.
- Salvation Army - Division Ave. You may also find appropriate uniform pieces at any of their locations; Division is the "Preferred Vendor" location.
- Goodwill stores
- Land's End
- There are order forms in the office for purchasing school uniforms. Please call the office at 616-819-2550.
- Uniform swap - Located in the closet outside the nurses office. If you have outgrown uniform shirts, pants, shorts and skirts that are in good repair, are clean, and fit the GRPS uniform criteria, please bring them here and exchange for another size. Shelf space is available for you to put your clothing on. Look through what is available and help yourselves. Please help us keep this area tidy!